Friday, December 3, 2010

House Updates

Well the house buying process is progressing along nicely. I did the house inspection the other day and it came back with a remarkably awesome clean bill of health in spite of being about 55 years old. The only problems we have boil down to: (1) two windows that need new caulking, (2) a couple outlets that need the third prong grounding stuff put in and we could use an extra electrical outlet in the family room, (3) gutters that need cleaning, and (4) the back screen door needs a new air piston thingamajig. So overall is dang good shape. Even the stuff we can improve on doesn't need to be done right away. The windows should be a couple days work I can do myself and the electrical stuff is apparently an easy fix and the majority of the cost of that is actually bringing in an electrician.

So other than that, I'm plotting the decorating! I'm trying to take it from a logical perspective and prioritize my purchases. The furniture we have is nice and will do, but it's just not enough to fill the house. The main floor, for example, is going to be empty except for the table in the dining area for a while. The chaise- our only real seating furniture due to size constraints of the apartment- will go in the family room with the tv. But we can even make do with that for a while.

I'm going to start in the bedroom though. We've got a bit of an overlap between moving in there and moving out of the apartment and I want to do things like buy an area rug for the bedroom before moving the bed up there. When we start seriously decorating the living room and family rooms rugs will be the first purchases there as well. The master bedroom is 11x13 (thankfully big enough to fit our king sized bed XD) so I'm looking at rugs in th 8x10 range. As it turns out, they're pretty expensive. Overstock is pretty much my go-to place for furniture and large housey things. We've had great experiences with them in the past, get 5% back from purchases with their rewards program and frequent 7% off everything coupons in the mail from them. This is what I'm looking at...

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Lyndhurst-Light-Greyish-Blue-Floral-Motif-Area-Rug-79-x-109/2241799/product.html
This one has good reviews and I love the steel blue color though the listed size is apparently wrong. it's 7'9 x 9'10 instead of 10'9. Which is smaller than ideal, but would still work and the rug is $250 before discounts, $223 after.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Lyndhurst-Cream-Oriental-Wool-Rug-9-x-12/5034076/product.html
This has only one review (5 stars though) and is a bit more neutral in colors with brown and gold and ivories. It's also a lot bigger at 9 x 12, which would fill the 11x 13 room beautifully. It is, however, $350 before discounts, $308 after.

A question for those who've bought area rugs before... if this thing is going to be going under a bed and probably a few other miscellaneous pieces of furniture, is it going to need a pad beneath it? I can't imagine it would move much beneath the furniture the way it would out in the open. Pads aren't that expensive, but they are Just One More Thing.

The other thing I want to start thinking about is the family room. I've wanted, for quite a while now, a real couch. A sink-into-and-take-a-nap-it's-so-comfortable couch. Which definitely doesn't come cheap. I want something like this and with this great of reviews but with maybe half the price tag >.> http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bentley-Premium-Italian-Leather-Sectional-Sofa/4685798/customer-reviews.html

3 comments:

Michael said...

Check out Menards for rugs -- we just bought a nice 8x10 on Monday for $200

AnnaMarie said...

I recommend HomeGoods or Hom Furniture for rugs, too. They have nice ones (especially the styles you posted) for under $200. I would not get a couch online. You have to feel them. Look for a Slumberland Clearance Center, look at furniture stores. They have clearance-priced models all the time, and they're going to be nice quality. If you get a chatty salesperson, they can really teach you a lot what to look for so you don't have seams coming apart. Think about if you want throw pillows or no pillows, if you want the back cushions to come off or not, if you want leather or microfiber (these 2 are the most durable). We learned quite a bit this summer when we bought our set. http://ferrellannamarietylerkatie.blogspot.com/2010/07/house-pics.html It's a couch, two huge chairs, and an ottoman, super comfy, for under $2000. Also think about your color scheme for that room. Not that I have a color scheme in our rental house, but I know the warm brown of our couches will work well with yellow, beiges, or other colors I'll use in our next home. Anyhow, just some thoughts. Go to a lot of furniture stores to see what a deal is. Call me if you want to know more of my 2 cents! Haha. Love ya, and so excited! We'll have to come visit you!

Benjamin Moore said...

Yay for a new house!!! now I get to come visit you when I get back!